Saturday, August 4, 2012

When Life Gives You Zucchini and Tomatoes...

Within the past couple of weeks a coworker had given me a Zucchini and a friend had given me a bunch of tomatoes. Well, I didn't make something that used both the zucchini and tomatoes in the same dish, but both items were still very good.


After a week or so of getting the ingredients that I needed for a couple of recipes, and actually taking the time to play around in the kitchen, I created two different items and have plans for another.
First, a coworker had brought in some zucchini and I wound up getting first dibs on them. I grabbed one that wasn't too big, but not real small either. At first, I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it, but then a friend let me try some of her zucchini bread.

I mentioned I had a zucchini in the refrigerator and would love to have the recipe. A week later and I'm finally making the bread.

One of the things I really liked about the recipe is that it calls for Nutmeg and Cinnamon, which gives it a warm and sweet taste. The recipe says you can replace the zucchini with apples, which I may try at some point...perhaps in a couple of months, since it reminds me of a bread to have during the holidays.


The second item I made today was a pot of Tomatensoep. Instead of just a straight tomato soup, it wound up being a Cream of Tomato Soup. The process required simmering several tomatoes, with bay leaves and a sliced up onion. Then you need to strain out the tomatoes, onion and bay leaves.

The remaining liquid would have made a decent soup, on it's own. However, the recipe then called for making a rue (flour and butter) and slowly adding the soup. The result being a creamier Tomatensoep.

Tomatensoep
The spoon is one my Oom Andre gave me decades ago.
The tablecloth is one my Paternal Grandmother made.

The soup recipe suggests serving it with Gebakken Broodjes (croutons), but I was too busy eating the Zucchini Bread.




Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Wow. That zucchini bread looks great. Can I have the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Lizard. You'll have to ask my friend, Jackie. She's kind of quirky, and not always that friendly, so I'm not sure if she would want to share it with you.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I've met Jackie--she's great! What do you mean, "not always that friendly"? Why, she's the sort of person who offers strangers a hat when it's cold in the Dome of Doom, and freezes in the car so that her friends will be comfortable, and insists on helping her friends clean their new houses when they move into them. Plus she's a great cook, so I'm sure the zucchini bread is double-delicious.

      Delete
    3. Oh...you're right Lizard...I got confused for a second. Jackie is the nice one and you are the "quirky, and not always friendly" one. Again, since you are nothing like Jackie, I'm not sure she would want you to have the recipe.

      Delete
  2. Looks SO good! I love zucchini chocolate chip muffins, but I am pretty sure it is simply because of the chocolate chips. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, this bread has a sweet taste to it...more like a dessert...so you might like it.

      Delete
    2. Mmm, I like dessert. I guess I'll have to get the recipe from you. Or maybe I'll just ask Lizard to get it for me from Jackie. ;)

      Delete
    3. Becky, I think you'd be better off getting the recipe from me. I don't think Jackie would like Lizard; Jackie's so nice and Lizard is so...well...not Jackie.

      Delete
    4. Well, I have a better idea! You could bring the bread to photo club with copies of the recipe and we could call it photo/baking club. We could even take pictures of the bread... or pictures of each other eating the bread.

      Delete
  3. Scott, The photography is amazing as usual and the bread and soup look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. I keep trying different things in the kitchen and with my photography.

      Delete