Monday, March 26, 2012

Birds All March on the Battlefield 7

American Crow

For those who have not read any of my other posts, I am originally from Long Island, New York (Laun Gylind, New Yawk). In honor of my mother’s and cousin’s recent visit to my home; What do Crows like to drink in the morning? CAW-fee!

This is another one of those birds that I really didn’t have any intention on photographing. However, I believe you will enjoy the images I captured.

The Crow is a very common bird throughout North America. It can be seen in practically all areas, perched in trees, on telephone wires (trying to make long-distance CAWS), barns…
American Crow

The Crow can been confused with the Raven, but the Raven is larger, has a slightly different beak and has a different call.

When I think of the Crow, I typically think of farms. Crows can be extremely problematic to farmers, since they are omnivorous. Although they do eat a lot of bugs that could pose problems to crops, they also eat the vegetables.

Here, the Crow is flying over the Codori Farm.






Another thing I think of when picturing the Crow is Halloween.



Much like the Raven, the silhouette of the Crow is one of those images that seem to be a constant theme of that time of year.

 Mixed with its loud and somewhat unsettling CAW-CAW, and the fact that it has been seen picking at the soft flesh of dead animals, it screams Spoooooooky.


This is one of the reasons I created this particular image; I wanted it to look as if the Crow was silhouetted in the light of a full moon.




In this photo, the Crow is perched atop the Excelsior Brigade Monument, which pays tribute to the 70th, 71st, 72nd, 73rd & 74th New York Infantry Regiments.






If you don't feel like CAW-ling, at least leave a comment here on the blog.
Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! I love the picture of the crow sitting on the eagle statue. He looks a little smug sitting there.

    ReplyDelete